martes, 11 de marzo de 2008

ReViEw 3

LANGUAGE CHECK

Future plans and intentions


Complete the dialogue with the appropiate form of the verb in brackets: going to, will, or the present continuous.

A. Hi, Richard. I´m afraid I´ve got xome bad news.
I(not come) am not coming to Bahrain tomorrow.

B. But we (meet) are meeting Ahmed on Wednesday to discuss the sales figures!

A. I know. I'm sorry but we've got problems with the launch of the G42. I've decided I (stay) will stay at head office to put things right.

B. (you come) Will you come next week instead?

A.I don't know yet. I (phone) will phone you on Friday. We (talk) are going to talk about it then.

B. OK. But you know Ahmed (travel) is going to travel to Singapore the week after, so he (not be) won't be free to meet with us then.




The imperative

Find and correct the mistake in each sentence

1. Let's to discuss the new trainee scheme next.
Let's discuss the new trainee scheme next.

2. If the company will offer you a job, accept it.
If the company offer you a job, accept it.

3. Please not to touch the equipment
Please don't touch the equipment

4. Please to be careful to use the right form.
Please be careful to use the right form.

5. You don't use this phone- use that one.
Don't use this phone- use that one.

6. If Jo phones, please you will take a message.
If Jo phones, please take a message.

7. If you will not have the right qualificaions, don't apply for the job.
If you don't have the right qualificaions, don't apply for the job.

8. Please you tell me if you can't hear.
Please tell me if you can't hear.


Modals of obligation

Match the underlined phrases with a modal verb phrase a-h that has the same meaning.

1. I'ts essential to pay off your debts on time.
h you have to

2. It isn't allowed to use a mobile phone in here
e you mustn't

3. It isn't necessary to be a graduate to apply for this job
c you don't need to

4. the rule is: show your passport when you buy foreign currency
g You must

5. My advice is: search the web if you want to find a good job
d you should

6. It isn't necessary to pay now, you can pay next week.
b you don't have to

7. my advice is: don't go to a job interview without good preparation
a you shouldn't

8. it's necessary to have sales experience if you want to join the team
f you need to


Consolidation

Good morning everybody and welcome. all of you have chosen to join the international division. So that means that you're going to start a new job in our regional offices. At 10 o'clock, Delores Tavares is coming to talk to you about culture. But first I'm going to explain a few point to help youprepare for the move to a new country. please stop me if you have any questions.
First, some practical point. You make sure that your passport is up-to-date. And if you need to apply for a visa, please do it as soon as possible. It can take a lot of time, so you musn't leave it till the last minute. The administrative staff will help you. Some of you travel with your families so you'll have to check the travel documents for your family.
Now each of you is going to have a one-week trip to your new location before you start the job. this trip will give you the chance to find out abput the new environment. You should make the best use of this trip. We want you to start your new job without too many problems. As you know, you don't have to look for accommodation because the company is going to provide you with an apartment. But don't expect everything to be easy. The way of life in other countries is often very different. You shouldn't forget that!



VOCABULARY CHECK


I
Buenos Aires is a leading business(1)site. It has a (2)strong economy. International trade plays a key role in the (3)development of the city. The country exports many products thought its historic(4)port. Many international banks have their (5)regional offices there.

II
What (1)qualifications do you need to work in sales? Nicholas, 33, a sales directorwith a food producer, says: "You don't need a University (2)degree, but it helps. It's more important to be energetic and(3) communicating -able to talk easily to all kind of people. You also need good managment(4)skills. If youreally want to develop your(5) carreer, ypu can earn a good (6)salary.



CARREER SKILLS



Making an appointment

A. I'm going to be in Riga next week and I'd like to arrange a meeting with you.
B. OK It would be good to mmet you while you are here. CAn we meet on Friday?
A. I'm afraid not. I'm only in Riga form Monday to Thursday. But I'm free on Tuesday and Wednesday. What about you?
B. I can't make Wednesday morning, but the afternoon is good for both of us. Can youcome to my office.
Let's say at 2 o'clock?
A. Yes that fine. I'll see you then.



Explaining waht to do

1. You don't have to stay in a job you don't like: it may be better to look for a new one.
2. But first, it's important to decide what you realy want to do.
3. It's a good idea to make a list of your skills and interests.
4. And don't forget to add a list of what you like and dislike about your present job.
5. The make sure that you look for opportunities that match your abilities and interests.



Making Suggestions

A. So, how do we entertain our visitors?
B. How about taking them to a restaurant?
A. That's a good idea! I'm sure they'd like to try some local dishes.
C. And maybe they like music. Perhaps I think we should take them to a concert.
B. I'm not sure about that, we don't knoe the music they like.
A. Well, why not show them around the city?
C. I like that that! we could show them around the city and then go for dinner.





No hay comentarios: